11 September 2009

now what?

When I get nervous, my heart rate skyrockets until I can feel it pounding out of my chest and I usually end up talking so fast that you can't tell what I am saying, and, this might sound weird but my hamstrings get shaky--just ask Ben about when I sang at his farewell. All of this used to happen every time I had to audition for something. It's a miracle (literally) that I was ever cast in anything, but the more I auditioned, the more I got used to the whole experience and eventually I was able to keep myself relatively calm and focused. Well, in case you're wondering, all that goes out the window when you have to audition in another language. Along with your ability to speak that language. Oi. I basically had to READ my first monologue. Luckily, they asked me some questions before moving on to the second monologue. This helped me catch my breath and calm down a bit, but I still lost track of what I was saying. Twice. Nevertheless, for some reason that escapes me, they accepted me into the school. I was even more shocked when they told me that I would be admitted into the SECOND year of the program. Excuse me? I'm sorry, did you...wow. Uh, MERCI.

So now that I am in, What do I do? Do I stay? Do I move forward trying to find an apartment and continue to drain my savings account? Before I left, I didn't realize how low the dollar-euro exchange is right now. That turn things upside down a bit, but it would still be possible...

Oh, and they want me to start on Monday.

?

More importantly, the meeting with Elder and Sister Bednar last night was absolutely inspired. After Sister Bednar shared some thoughts, Elder Bednar changed the format of the meeting to a question and answer session. It was incredible.

A few thoughts from the meeting:

Seeing is not believing. We can receive a special witness of Christ by the power of the Holy Ghost in a way that transcends the five senses. Each member has the responsibility to stand as a witness of Christ.

The number of conversions will not increase until we, as members, stop relying on the missionaries to find people to teach. "You are full-time finders; the missionaries are full-time teachers." Pray for the discernment to recognize missionary opportunities, then be prepared to act when your prayer is answered.

A young boy asked, straight up, "How do you know God exists?" Seeing Elder Bednar testify to him, and share ways in which he has seen the arm of the Lord revealed in his life, was a beautiful experience.

To sacrifice is to be willing to give all--to be willing to die for the gospel. To consecrate is to be willing to develop and dedicate your life in such a way that you will live for the gospel.

When we come unto Christ, He shows unto us our weakness, not our weaknesses or shortcomings but our mortal, fallen state, and the necessity to depend on Him. When we know we must rely on Him, and have the faith to know we can, He will grant us strength in Him.


The Church is TRUE.

16 comments:

Kasi French said...

Well ... there you have it.

Katie said...

Wow...congrats Jeff! Second year, in another language? That's impressive. Good luck making the decision.

Dorothy said...

Vai de mine, Dickamore. I think that is AWESOME that you just picked up and moved to Paris. My favorite food blogger, David Lebovitz, did that too and it makes me want to follow y'all. With my husband and four-month-old in tow.

Goood luck with everything!

Dorothy said...

Oh, and by the way, I wish I'd decided not to go to law school too. Too bad I already graduated.

Hailey said...

Wow, Jeff. Congrats! Next time I'm in Paris, whenever that is, let's hang out. Best wishes, mon ami!

Courtnie said...

Holy cow Jeff! Congrats on the acceptance. Sounds like you will have a great time. . .and what a great fireside!

rich said...

You're awesome dude! Jeff, you're blog is SO exciting to read.

Ticey said...

Congrats cuz!! That is so awesome!! Thanks for the notes from Elder Bednar as well!!

Cindy said...

AHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If I could be anywhere doing anything this very second, I would be in Paris giving you a giant hug of love!

That being said, DO IT. Faith precedes the miracle, remember?

i love you.

MCC said...

You did it! Congratulations.....look at your notes from Elder Beadnar's Q&A and you will have your answer of what to do. You are there for a reason.
The whole Call family is following and cheering you on from B-town.

Jessica said...

I think I speak for (almost) everybody when I say, I got the warm fuzzies just seeing you in the Nauvoo Pageant. I get that it was a good part to play, and that part of it was the spirit. But your talent was like the sprinkles on top. I think you made a good choice in choosing your major.

sportsmom said...

That's awesome Jeff! You will be awesome! I think you will be a great example to many you will be working with. Pretty awesome.

Kelly J

Mothe said...

Wahoo Jeff, We are all so very proud of you!! I am not one bit surprised that they put you in the second year.....actually I would not have been surprised to hear that you were already starring in your first movie to be released this Fall!! Count me in for someone that beleives in you all the way!! Love You, Aunt Becky
We got to have Elder Bednar speak at our Stake a couple years ago.......
he is definitely one of my very favorite speakers, thanks for sharing some of your notes!!

Anonymous said...

As Sophie was avoiding her Arabic homework, she happened upon a picture on a friend of a friend's blog only to discover a picture of her friend JEFF DICKAMORE! She followed the link and read of his incredible conquests.
Salute Jeff! I am proud of you for going to Paris. Way to get into acting school! My family is most definitely excited for you as well. We love you!

Bart & Penny Murray said...

Congrates Jeff! I knew you would be accepted. You are totally AWESOME!! Good Luck and keep us informed!

Marge Bjork said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!