06 September 2009

lemme esplain...

Some of you seem shocked to learn that I picked up and moved to Paris. Don't worry, no one was more tripped out over the whole experience than I was (that's two bad pun-entries in a row).

What was I thinking? Let me explain. Well, let me sum up:

Not going to law school. What am I doing with my life? Who's going to want to date some guy with no career prospects? Being a professor would be cool, but as Dr. Sprenger told me, that means I need to find something I want to study for the next 27 years... wow, that's a long time. Could anything keep my attention that long? What have I been really into lately? . . . buh, acting? Film is especially interesting to me. Maybe I could get an MFA (Master of Fine Arts, which is a terminal degree) in acting or film... but I don't have any technical training and it might be hard to convince a good university to take a chance on me based solely on my audition. So, I need to take some acting classes. Don't want to stay at BYU. Don't want to get ripped off by some lame classes in LA. I am curious to see what would happen if I just starting auditioning more. Maybe get some more experience. ...Hey, Laetitia (a French friend of mine)'s brother is at that acting school in Paris. It's supposed to be good and is cheaper than BYU... I wonder... no, that would never happen... hmmm. My French could use some work and I do love Paris. Maybe I should call them just to find out some more information...

The next day I bought a ticket. Five days later I sold my car. A week and a half later I got on the plane. And here I am today:
views from Mont Parnasse
love street musicians

the infinite staircase at Porte des Lilas--and one more reason why I wish I had one of those big red foursquare balls with me at all times. Anyone? At least a bouncy ball...
leaving church with Irene

Clement, Gab's wickedly talented graphic designer brother who lives in Paris, and Irene walking in one of the many Parisian parks.

My Nikon D90 was the best impulse purchase I have ever made.

9 comments:

Ticey said...

Oh my goodness Jeff it is so beautiful there!! I am so super jealous!! Well you look good and like you are enjoying it. You will do awesome no matter what you do!!

Anonymous said...

jeff, t'es trop cool pour l'école. bonne chance à paris!

Unknown said...

Wow! This IS a change! You may need to prepare to be inundated since you DID leave an open invitation. You know if WE come to visit that will be 4, 5, or 6 extra people (depending on just WHO of us is available). I have always wanted to see Paris.....
...and Jackie and Daniel love it!
Luv ya! (the Johnson's - in case you couldn't figure it out)

Rebecca, Jacob, Matthew, Kristen said...

Wow, how exciting is your life! I love Paris--only spent 24 hours there about 13 years ago, but we squeezed in all of the sights and adventures we possibly could and left wanting more. Good luck with your audition. We know you will do great. Thanks for being such a great example for our family. We will always treasure our Nauvoo experiences with you.

Unknown said...

Gld you made it ... makes me almost wish I was there with you! We sure do love you, and although we have no idea what you are doing, we're proud of you and always will be. although I am pissed you traded in your ticket to come see us to instead move to Paris. Good thing Tonto looks like you or I might just disown you!

Anonymous said...

oh i do love that camera. Can't tell you how glad i am that you're here!!!

Unknown said...

Wow...So cool buddy. You are my hero. I'm on my way to join you. :)

Niki Barber said...

Just wanted you to know that I dated, fell in love and married, still happily married to a man with no real job prospects. We are still working on that together, but you know what...Life isn't about a career, it is about Love and Family. I wouldn't change my choice EVER!!!! We are so in love, EVERYDAY!!!! Having a job doesn't matter, having someone who loves you inspite of your job does. You have more than enough to offer any girl on the face of the earth, because you have love to give. That is MOST IMPORTANT!!!! If any girl thinks a job is more important than love, they can hit the road!!!!! That isn't who you want to spend eternity with.

I am proud of you!!!! Keep following the promptings of the Spirit and you will find exactly what God's needs you to. You are on the right path, I would say, because everything fell into place. That is God's hand in your life. Who can sell a car in five days now days? MIRICLE!!!!

Carrie said...

WOW. Jeff, I had no idea! Living the life...say bonjour to Paris for me!