09 January 2009

why i resisted the pressure to major [or minor] in business


1. business lingo--some h.r. or p.r. guy (i honestly don't know the difference) comes up with a convoluted connotation of a formerly abstract word by 'thinking outside the box' and suddenly it's the holy grail of human exploitation. it quickly makes its way into every sentenced uttered within earshot of management and soon finds itself plastered on coffee mugs and office walls, coupled with a cheap stock photo, and eventually immortalized in a kitschy bronze sculpture.

perfect example: synergy. don't you see? it denotes the cooperative action of multiple parts--SYNERGY! give me an S! give me a Y!...

give me a break.

what's most bothersome is that they are presented as a motivational revolution when in reality nothing is internalized and nothing to do with human behavior is affected. but this doesn't keep anyone from using the word as though it actually means something.

2. networking--while also a prime example of business lingo, this word actually does mean something: to make acquaintances with the sole purpose of benefiting from said acquaintances. this seems to have permeated all forms of social interaction. sure, it can be defended by saying that it is meant to be mutually beneficial, but even still, you're only scratching someone else's back because you are expecting a scratch in return. what happened to making friends?

3. mission statements--whether it's for a corporation or for a newly-wed couple, mission statements make my skin crawl. their business origins are clearly manifested by the fact that they are meant to appear important and professional, efficient and organized, and yet are unable to manifest themselves by producing any significant result. so, take time to write one, print it on sturdy paper with the little flecks of grass and feathers in it, frame it, place it prominently on your wall, and forget about it.

4. business conduct--there's something unsettling to me about reading books like How to Win Friends and Influence People and How to Sell Anything to Anyone. call me crazy, but it seems that business encourages you to pretend to be someone you aren't so you can get people to do something they don't want to do. yes, i am interested in promoting communication and compromise, resolving conflict, and facilitating understanding between adverse groups and i might very well benefit from such training, but i don't want to improve my ability to manipulate and exploit. and i get uncomfortable when i can tell someone is pursuing an agenda with me, not really listening to what i am saying nor trying to understand my point of view.

i must say that i greatly admire business people who manage to be good at what they do while avoiding such behavior. when i visited my brother at the assisted living center he managed. he introduced me to everyone we passed and he knew the name and situation of every employee, from the head nurse to the $8/hour janitors, and they in turn knew and appreciated him. sure, this can be seen as a brilliantly crafted, conniving affectation scheme, but the point is that tony wasn't getting to know his employees for the purpose of controlling them; he actually cares about people.

i guess it's the uncertainty of sincerity that gets me about business.

and that's why i am going to law school . . . ?

1 comment:

Bart & Penny Murray said...

I so totally agree with you. I here that at work all day long. They even try to bribe you with we will give you a little something if you think out side the box and come up with a good idea. Than because you work for a boss they get to put it in their report that they manage a person to do this and so they get the credit. So you get the stupid $1.oo gift and they get the promotion. I'm so glad that Tony knows everyone that works for him that really does mean a lot. I remember years ago we had a security guard that sat at the front door in the morning (he was a older gentleman) he made a point to know everyone's name that came into work. So everyday he would say good morning and call you by name. It did mean a lot that he would take the effort to do this. Did he get a head for it no most of the other guards thought he was to old to be working and wanted his job. Now that you got me thinking and remembering why I hate my job so much and I have to keep telling myself I'm only here for the pay check I know you will make a Great Lawyer you convince me how people try to get you to buy into something to get them ahead. The bosses at work do it all the time that's one of the big reasons I got out of management I don't like to play the game. Love you!