12 January 2009

law school apps: check.

they are finally submitted. and now we play the waiting game. [patience is a virtue.]
where did i apply, you ask? well...

first, the two "reach" schools:

NYU (Downtown NYC)

Columbia (Uptown NYC)


a "reach" school refers to a school that you apply to without too much hope of getting in. for me, these are more like "stretch until you tear your ligaments and pull your bones from your sockets" schools. in other words, the only way i will get admitted to either is if someone on the admissions committee makes a mistake or Divine Intervention causes someone to look past my depressingly low LSAT score. with an application fee of $80 dollars per school, i limited my reach schools to two. here's to hoping.

second, still a "reach" but slightly more of a possibility:

Penn (Philadelphia)


Georgetown (D.C.)

Duke
(Durham, N. Carolina)


third, the "safety" school:

George Washington (D.C.)

usually a "safety" school refers to a law school that is sure to accept your application. this isn't exactly the case with gw, which is a great school, but it is my best chance.

that totals six schools. yes, $80 times six equals more than you want to pay for rejection. i chose to apply to these schools because of the opportunities they offer in public international law (and obviously their proximity to provo). i should hear back from them between now and april. [patience is a virtue. patience is a virtue.] in the mean time, i should hear from teach for america next week which could throw another wrench into the cogs.

so, where do you think i'll end up?

7 comments:

rich said...

Great job getting your applications done.

For some reason, those are so hard to finish. Maybe it is because you always want to make them perfect.

Maybe it is because we just never get a break from life, thus we use our time to work on applications to take breaks.

Any of these schools would be foolish to reject you.

Tam said...

Wherever you end up, I want to come visit! You'll do awesome, no matter where you go!

Thanks for choosing a school far from Provo -- I was beginning to think you might be fitting in too well (although being a Democrat you'll never really fit in there)!

Kasi French said...

Remind me how Northwestern didn't make it on this list ... and the University of Chicago?

NYU made the cut however, I suppose that'll do.

Bart & Penny Murray said...

We vote Penn because we like the building does that count? bart also said he likes the red and blue brick on the last one. Any place you end up they are lucky to have you!

Stephen said...

C'mon Jeff! Low LSAT score?! 87 percent of LSAT test takers would probably disagree with you. Also, I think you will get into all the schools except Penn, and you will waitlist at NYU. I agree with Rich in that any law school would be foolish not to accept you Jeff, I'm just making predictions. Big money, big money!!

tara said...

I fear you made the tragic mistake of forgetting your entrance VIDEO. It worked for Elle Woods, and I have a feeling your abs are far superior to hers.

Brabby said...

Jeff,

I stumbled across your blog through a link on Ashley's blog. Good luck with the application process. Since I attended Business School at Penn, I'm a little biased in my prediction/pick for you. If I were on the admissions committee, I'd let you in a heartbeat!

Best of luck,
Brad Crist