02 November 2008

request for input

Before I say anything, I just want to make it clear that I am still planning on going to law school. That's what I want to do and that hasn't changed. My family may never quite know how to answer the question, "What's Jeff up to these days?" (or even harder, "Is Jeff ever going to graduate, get a real job, and get married?"), but my life only APPEARS to be wandering and aimless. I assure you that there is a bigger picture to be seen.

With that disclaimer, there is a small opportunity that has come up that I originally discarded as illogical. But, it keeps coming up. Instead of stewing over it myself, I'm passing it on to whoever wants to help out. The opportunity is Teach for America--basically, you teach two years in an underprivileged school in hopes of reducing the educational inequality prevalent in lower income neighborhoods. For more info, check out their site here.

Pros: hang out with kids, enhance teaching skills, get a master's degree, get paid a teacher's salary and benefits, get law school hook-ups, and possibly make a difference in some kid's life (think Dangerous Minds or Freedom Writers...or Sister Act II)


Cons: putting off law school for two more years (I guess this could be placed in the pro list) which means I wouldn't graduate from law school until the ripe old age of 97 (think... Billy Madison), I would have to stay in the US, and I wouldn't get a real job for another five more years. They say Teach for America gives you a whole new perspective on what you want to do with your life and increases your commitment for public service--I know I want to enter public interest law and I would be able to do more once I have my J.D., so why push it back two more years?

7 comments:

Rachel said...

I think Teach for America is an awesome program. One of my good friends out here is the director for the area and for Philadelphia. I'm sure she'd be happy to talk to you about it if you had any questions, so let me know if you'd like me to pass along your e-mail address to her.

Good luck, Jeff! It's fun to hear what you're thinking about doing.

Ticey said...

Wow Jeffy that is a hard one. That program sounds awesome and I know you would do great at it!! I don't really have one to say over the other - I guess I am just saying I love ya and support you no matter what and you will do awesome at whatever you choose!!!

Cindy said...

option 3:
love cindy forever and not worry about anything else.

i'd pick that one.

Bart & Penny Murray said...

Okay I can only handle one voting thing and I went and voted today so I won't be able to vote on you. I know you will do the correct thing in your life no matter what you decide or when it happens. You if anybody can do it all! You are so AWESOME always know that and that we love you tons!!

Anonymous said...

As a current 3L, I can definately attest that Teach for America would be an excellent way to open many doors to enter practice as a PI attorney. Moreover, I strongly believe work/life experience prior to law school greatly enhances your take away from and appreciation of a JD program. Just be sure to chose a law school with strong PI clinical program offerings.

Anonymous said...

It's a great opportunity for someone who isn't yet sure what their next step is for career or education but speaking as an experienced teacher I've seen what a disservice inexperienced teachers can be to students, particularly in tougher socio-economic circumstances. Although the enthusiasm of a fresh college grad can have a powerful and invigorating effect on the class, these students need experienced teachers who know what they're doing and aren't going to be just another adult who abandons them after their two year stint is over.

rich said...

Jeff! Totally do it! I thought about Teach for America and it was definitely part of Plan B. If I decided medical school was not right I was going to do Teach for America and then apply for a MPH program and work in a Community Health Clinic or a health policy group.