06 October 2008

a petition to sanity

The longer you avoid doing something, the harder it is to do. Like breaking up, making up, or cliff jumping--especially when your cousin, who's a girl, has already jumped. Or, writing on your blog. I think, wow, I need something really good to break the silence. And for weeks I've needed something to do while I procrastinate homework. And it's not as though I haven't had plenty to write about (turning 25 and getting scores of anti-you-know-who-if-you-know-me emails), but I just could not find something worthy of restarting the blog. Well, I have definitely found it...

A sweet individual who truly cares about both my future and my present safety pointed out that I had received an alarming comment on an old blog post (thank you--you know who you are). Once I read it, I felt inclined to delete it and then destroy my computer screen in a ritual cleansing ceremony. But something stopped me. I felt a responsibility to humanity to publish this comment for two reasons. First, I hope that this will remind us all to think about what we write on-line--blogs are open to the public. Second, I hope this will help us all to think about what we say/write to people and the possible ramifications that result.

Here is the comment, edited of all information that would reveal the identity of the mother or her daughter but otherwise left unaltered. I have also deleted the posted comment. Don't try to figure out who she is or who her daughter is. You don't know her. I hardly know her. And clearly, if she knew me, she wouldn't have written this.

Jeff,

I have been praying for you since I met you on July (date omitted). I really feel that you are my future son-in-law. Oh, but you are so smart and so amazing. What would ever prompt you to take a look at just an average,shy girl with an awesome testimony who has saved her first kiss for her future husband.
Yet, my grandkids are saying,"Grandma, Dad is too busy, help us out here." There are many weird people in this world. I have just entered that relm with this comment. Somtimes the Spirit really is annoying. Good Luck with your life Jeff. Your future mother-in-law believes in you too. And the alienation with my daughter that I risk when she finds out I wrote this will hopefully not span the Eternities

(name omitted)

15 comments:

Mike Lau said...

Jeff I miss you! I too have been guilty of neglecting my blogging even though I have so much going on too. Hope you are surviving without the Wood brothers I know I miss them.

Courtnie said...

Wow! What a comment! Jeff, whatever happened with your LSAT? I've been sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear the results! I'm sure they are good! :)

Marky said...

YIkes.. Just makes me glad I turned my blog private!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear... Please tell me this wasn't my mom!?

irene said...

dicakmore. i love that you posted this. many emoticon hearts to you. thank you for updating. miss you!

irene said...

ps - i misspelled on purpose. i still can't get whatever it was that was addressed to your wrong last name out of my head.

Stephen said...

no way, jeff this is legendary!

Steph said...

i just found your blog. hooray! heart ya

Tam said...

Ah, whats wrong with a little cyber-stalking. Poor woman, she doesn't know what she's trying to get her daughter involved in. If she did, she'd run away as fast as she could! I'd run but I've got 3 little heathens slowing me down!!! Love ya Jeff -- you are the often the only voice of reason out of the 4 of you!

Cindy said...

<3 <3

its because you're so good looking.

rich said...

Jeff,

I miss you so much. Why did we ever break up the crew? If only I could go back in time I would tell all of us to take a year off and stay in Provo.

Now a little detective work... I be this was someone that met you at the pageant. I bet they met you in your Joseph Smith get up. I bet I know who it is!

Laquina said...

OMG Jeff. I am SO embarrassed. My mom meant to send that to Richard. I just couldn't be more mortified. And she should have said better things about me. So sorry.

Forever yours,

Your future friend in law

Colby and Steph Stringham said...

what the hell... thats all i have to say. we need to talk more about this! ahhaahahahahaha

Ticey said...

Jeffy that is creepy!! What a weird-o this lady is. But hey who wouldn't want you as a son-on-law :)

Ash + Dust said...

Ah ha ha ha ha ha hahaahhahahahaahaaa! That is seriously so funny! It's been going around the fam! I've heard this story a few times already!