08 June 2008

here we go...

Westwater Canyon is considered by National Geographic to be the best one day white-water river trip this side of the Mississippi. The trip begins and ends with long, calm stretches of the winding Colorado River, banked by the usual red rocks of Southern Utah. Sandwiched between the two is an unbelievably intense section of white-water that makes even seasoned river guides loose in the bowels or, as is clearly recognizable by this picture, a little sweaty. As only Mother Nature could design it, the rapids are formed by a section of Vishnu Shist, a black, glossy rock that is less prone to erosion than sandstone and therefore compresses the river into a much narrower canyon and multiplies the speed and pressure of the water. Rapids such as Funnel Falls and Sock-it-to-me have stuck-it-to-me and many others. The most notorious rapid however, is Skull. This delightful rapid encompasses Skull Rock, Razor Rock, the Room of Doom and the Rock of Shock all in one clean package on a nearly ninety degree turn of the river. Looking down river as you race toward it, the river appears to drop off and dead end. If you row it correctly, your passengers don't even get wet and it simply blends in with the other rapids on a trip that they will never forget.

This week has me thinking of the river. And not just in the whiny, "I miss the river" sort of way. Somehow I have managed to compress more into this summer than ever before and time is flying by. This week is the last week of class and my last week to memorize everything for Nauvoo and study for the LSAT. Monday, June 16, is the LSAT and the first day of rehearsal for Nauvoo. Wednesday I take my final for Physical Science 100. After rehearsal ends on Saturday, I have three days to finish my proposal for my research in Romania. Then, it's off to Colorado for Nikki Wilkin's homecoming/road trip with friends. The day after I get back from Colorado, I fly out to Nauvoo. The day after I get back from Nauvoo, I fly out to Romania. The day after I get back from Romania, I have a training seminar on our new French 101 curriculum. Then school starts, work starts and law school applications start.

I will spare you the details on how unprepared I am for all of this and simply say that I am going to enjoy every minute of this summer.

5 comments:

Bart & Penny Murray said...

Jeffy,
You will do such an AWESOME job at everything you will be doing this summer. Because that is you one Awesome guy. Love you TONS and good luck!
Aunt Pen

Tam said...

You'll do awesome. You've never been one to just sit home. When was the last summer you were home more than 2 weeks? Just remember there are some of us out here who would kill to have as much fun as you do!

Cindy said...

you will do awesome. if you don't i'm going to retract my friendship from your life. and we all know you wouldn't like that. :)

loves.

Stefanie Cross said...

Jeff! It is Stefanie Nelson...doesn't that picture bring back memories? Ha ha! For my last year my dad gave me a DVD of our big premier! HA HA! How did the test go? What else are you up to?

web.mac.com/tedandstefanie

Stefanie and Jeff said...

Jeff
This is your trusty ol' night games player! That is funny you work the river.... My work last year went down and did that very thing!
Stef Hill